22 May Vacation Safety Tips to Keep Yourself and Home Secure
Let’s face it. Preparing for vacation stresses out the best of us. You do double duty at work just to take the vacation, and then the planning, packing and priming needed for your departure nearly wipes you out.
You persevere through the hassles, however, because that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow is a relaxing vacation you’ve saved for and looked forward to for months. Once you’re out the door and on the road, the last thing you want to worry about is the security of your home while you’re away.
Home security matters every day, but especially when you’re not there to watch over things. With a home security system from ASI, connected wirelessly to the Alarm.com app, you can disconnect and relax with 24/7 professional security monitoring. Worried about a break-in or fire? Leave those worries behind and know that ASI will notify firefighters and police for you.
Here are some other ways an ASI home security system protects your home while you’re on vacation:
Storm Damage and Water Leaks
So, you’ve made it to your vacation destination, 300 miles from home, and you do a quick check of your Facebook and Twitter feeds before officially disconnecting. Social posts from family and friends indicate a severe thunderstorm just pummeled your neighborhood, and you start worrying about sump pump failure and flooded basements. No one wants to return home to a soggy, moldy mess, right?
With the Alarm.com’s sump pump monitoring, you’ll get an alert on your smartphone as soon as the sump pump stops working so you can take action and make arrangements to minimize any potential flood damage.
Need to let a neighbor or local plumber into the house while you’re gone? No problem. Just unlock the door remotely with the Alarm.com app, or give a trusted friend their own individual code, so they can get into the home to turn off the water before too much damage occurs.
Keeping the porch light on day and night for an entire week may thwart some burglars, but smart lights integrated with a smart home security system can do more to make your home look occupied when you’re not there.
Controlled remotely, the Alarm.com app lets you set a realistic schedule for your home’s lighting system while you’re miles and miles away relaxing on the beach. Set the lights to turn on and off at the same times you would if you were home, or use motion sensors to turn front porch lights into motion-triggered security lighting.
Homeowners can also choose their preferred light bulbs. The Alarm.com’s special hardware for smart lighting is typically installed in a wall switch, giving you the option of selecting more expensive LED bulbs or cheaper fluorescent bulbs.
Once you’ve got your home security in check, don’t forget to take safety precautions for yourself and your family while traveling. Here are some tips:
- Keep your cash and smartphone secure. Thieves might be tempted by a big wad of cash, or grab your phone at a popular tourist site and run off.
- Study hotel escape maps. If the emergency alarm sounds in the middle of the night, you’ll know how to get out safely.
- Tell someone about your travel plans. If something happens and you fail to check in, a trusted family member or friend can provide pertinent information to local authorities.
- Pack an emergency kit for your car. Items you might need include a backup phone battery, a first-aid kit, blankets, nonperishable food, a flashlight and bottled water.
- Backup passport plan. Retain access to your passport at all times by scanning a copy of it, then emailing it to yourself or taking a photo of it to keep on your smartphone. Give a copy to a family member or friend, too. If it’s stolen, it will be easier to replace.
Want complete peace of mind? Get a home security system and work with people who truly care about the best solution for you. Request a home security consultation from us today so we can share the best way to protect your home and loved ones.